[game_preservation] Frank Cifaldi's preservation article on 1Up

Andrew Armstrong andrew at aarmstrong.org
Sun Jan 10 14:01:42 EST 2010

I'm going to at some point contact UK retailers, once I have somewhere
to put the data. Amazon, AFAIK, has a lot of 3rd parties telling them
when a product was released whenever they list it as for sale from a 3rd
party - I've seen games which are not too old (or even some relatively
new ones) with dozens of entries, from lots of different re-releases and
packaging, none with a uniform release date, and likely none of them
correct anyway. :)

I think maybe if Amazon has their own record of when a product was
available from their own warehouse, that'd be more accurate - after all,
what is a more accurate release date then the date the shops sell it?

But as Martin said, the availability date versus release date does
differ - so Amazon would only have the former not the latter. Worldwide,
for instance, the UK has different stock dates (when things get put on
store shelves) to the USA, so even a worldwide release will likely mean
delays from one location to another apart from for big items. It's not
exactly a hard science, more like guesswork. For this idea of look at
shop stocks from years ago - well, it depends I guess on the company I'd
guess. There's no real way to tell without asking. Would still be useful
information even if it was inaccurate in places anyway - since at the
moment, as far as I can tell, it is as Martin says - asking people who
were around at the time or guessing based on adverts and other
near-to-the-date things (trade shows and suchlike). Would be nice to
have harder sources.

Andrew