[game_preservation] Worst game ever made

Jim Leonard trixter at oldskool.org
Sat Jan 16 18:36:07 EST 2010

On 1/16/2010 10:58 AM, Andrew Armstrong wrote:

> Never heard of the ET game? :)

ET has an incredibly bad rap. Howard Scott Warshaw was given six weeks
-- SIX WEEKS -- from 0% to 100% completion to get the game finished in
time for the xmas season. The game has no bugs and clearly-defined
gameplay. This is the same person who gave us the Raiders of the Lost
Ark game for 2600 (also of significant historical context) as well as
the built-for-the-technics-of-the-system Yar's Revenge. E.T. was not a
stellar game, but I hate to see it bashed. There aren't many people who
could create a finished 2600 game in six weeks.

> There are downright incredibly bad games released on likely every

> console and operating system. Just takes some time to find them - many

> won't have been heavily reviewed or widely released I bet.

Any system with more than 10 games released has at least one horrible
game. The inverse is true: Any system with less than 10 games released
has at least one good game ;-)

The only system to violate this rule was the Atari Jaguar, which had
about 5-6 decent games out of over 50. I have never had such a
depressing experience gaming as I had with the Jaguar. I had the
misfortune of playing Tempest 2000 first, which set my expectations,
then saw every single game I purchased after that get worse and worse...
--
Jim Leonard (trixter at oldskool.org) http://www.oldskool.org/
Help our electronic games project: http://www.mobygames.com/