[game_preservation] Worst game ever made

Jim Leonard trixter at oldskool.org
Sun Jan 17 13:10:25 EST 2010

On 1/17/2010 11:06 AM, Mark Guttenbrunner wrote:

> It may not LOOK worse than other games of that time, but have you ever

> tried PLAYING it ???

Of course, even when I was young when it came out.

> I meet with a bunch of guys every 2-3 month and we play a bit of retro

> games on the original systems ... last time was the first time I tried

> E.T. on the 2600 and I was really annoyed by the game after 2 minutes

> and falling down the pits 100 times without even knowing why ...

Well, after two minutes you learn to move at the corners of each screen
and not the centers :-) That way you don't fall into a pit on a screen
change because your sprite happened to be where a pit was.

I wouldn't call that any worse of an experience than any other terrible
game. Cybergenic Rangers is my vote for worst game ever because it was
completely unplayable via the keyboard, and most Sierra games have some
puzzle that is completely arbitrary that doesn't make sense (my favorite
write-up of one is, of course:
http://www.oldmanmurray.com/features/78.html )
--
Jim Leonard (trixter at oldskool.org) http://www.oldskool.org/