[game_preservation] Working conditions then and now

Andrew Armstrong andrew at aarmstrong.org
Mon Jan 25 13:21:05 EST 2010

I'm actually writing a little bit of the IGDA QOL's report thingy, 5
paragraphs on the state of market changes since 2004 (just need to dig
up some studio-relevant data, painfully - hard to find good figures for
how it's changed for 6 years in the team sizes, budgets etc. for all
market sectors - like how MMO's, internet and casual games have popped
up more).

I'd say - well, apples and oranges in regards to looking back to 80's
and 90's. The industry has a relatively short life so far, and
development teams have gone up and down depending on the market and
product being made (and crashes and burns, buyouts and mergers, console
releases and PC speed...). It's just a fact that there have been studios
(of whatever size) since forever, and vice versa been independent one
man teams forever, while Quality of Life varies mainly between places of
work; ie companies - I don't know if team sizes have much to do with it
at all.

Not that you'll ever get a good definition of "worse" and "better"
(actually, as an art form, can games themselves be said to be
consistently getting "worse" or "better", hah! :) ). This is the problem
with something like this - there is no grading system, no union minimum
standards, and the industry has generally a worldwide basis and is
relatively spread out (not centred in one major city) so good luck going
on the basis of quantitative things like pay, holiday time, bonuses or
hours. Some people love overtime (making games!) but others get forced
into it, or even those who like making games and want to work more hours
get terrible conditions to work in, or paltry compensation in holiday
time between projects or money or bonuses or whatever (this isn't all
what QOL is mind you, lots more besides).

Even if it can be proclaimed that it has "got better" there's no arguing
there must be a way to go if people are still complaining so vocally. If
it has "got worse" you'll find a lot of good examples. The fact the
industry is so much larger - I mean, mega percents larger - then 20-30
years ago skews things like this bigtime. More of everything - good and bad.

Oh, of course this is all historically important and worth attempting
(if rather difficult to without survey data). Once I've finished my
piece for the QOL report, I'll be saying to the lead writer who has the
raw data that she should get it added to a historical archive if the
IGDA agrees (Anyone up for holding a copy with limitations on reading it
or whatever legal stuff might need to be done considering there might be
personally identifiable information there even though it is technically
anonymous? I think leaving it in a vault/storage for X years unread
might be the easiest idea). This would mean it is available in 2030 to
check!

There is the main problem that, of course, there isn't any survey data
for basically anywhere pre-2000's when they got started. You might be
able to get salary figures and interview people for their personal
working hours (since I bet the timesheets don't match!), but it'd be a
lot of work, and more anecdotal then survey based.

Still if anyone knows of efforts to look that far back at the industry
as a whole I'd love to know for the QOL SIG :D

Andrew