[game_preservation] International Video Game Hall of Fame

Andrew Armstrong andrew at aarmstrong.org
Wed Jul 21 05:05:23 EDT 2010

Anyone else heard of it? I don't actually recall them starting, and
presumably they're not on here!

They recently announced a Video Game Hall of Fame; with 2010 inductees:
http://www.ivghof.com/the-big-bang/inductees (via /.
http://games.slashdot.org/article.pl?sid=10/07/21/059236 )

Perhaps not surprisingly these people all appear to be still alive. I
wonder if that is a condition of entry. Tons of champions too...is it
really valid to add those kinds of people to a Hall of Fame over the
creators of the games that they in fact are champions of? (I guess it
might be held they are the "sport players" of the game world, rather
then passive watchers as in film or TV, so fit there). Lots of Xbox
creators too...hmmm...site branded with Master Chief...I do wonder who
compiled the list, sounds very...fanboy-ish.

In any case, we need a bit more activity on this list :) Anyone else got
interesting news to post? I want to post about the meeting several
organisations had held by the National Videogame Archive in the UK - we
discussed and raised a lot of "not commonly discussed" items, and might
well lead somewhere which is nice. I'll see if I can get permission to
post the minutes - unless someone from the archive is on the list and
gives permission.

Given that those discussions were strictly UK only, of course, we could
well use input just generally on the kind of topics that were raised in
our whitepaper and other issues which are barriers or just simply
difficulties with preservation.