[game_preservation] Another article on how all our games are dying

Mike Melanson mike at multimedia.cx
Fri Jul 30 18:18:09 EDT 2010

On 07/29/2010 08:59 AM, Andrew Armstrong wrote:

> It references the Planets and Emulation work done in Europe;

> http://www.ijdc.net/index.php/ijdc/article/view/147

> I need to give that paper a read. This stuff is of course a lot more

> obvious to all of us :)

I found this awesome comment in the ensuing Slashdot thread:

http://games.slashdot.org/comments.pl?sid=1735616&cid=33059982

"The problem as I see it is that we, now, don't know what will be valued
in the future. Whatever clown decided to make the same rock with
Hieroglyphs, demotic, and greek would have no idea that at the time he
was creating one of the most important archiological artifacts ever.

"In short, preserve it now, let future generations decide what to study
and what to ignore."

Makes me feel better about finding and archiving impossibly obscure
games. :)

--
-Mike Melanson