[game_preservation] Game Database question

Devin Monnens dmonnens at gmail.com
Sun Mar 14 19:58:36 EDT 2010

Let me begin by emphasizing something that I think should have been
emphasized at the roundtable more: we need to work on standards that all
libraries and archives can agree on.

For cataloging, I would go back to 'what is the minimum amount of data
required to indicate how the game is identified'? Beyond this, we would want
to know 'what does it take to run this game as intended?'

Jim makes a couple good points here as well.

First, how different do two copies of a game have to be for them to be
considered different games? Golden Axe on HG101 is a good example of a
comparison. I don't know where I'd even begin here.

http://hg101.kontek.net/goldenaxe/goldenaxe.htm

<http://hg101.kontek.net/goldenaxe/goldenaxe.htm>An easier example. In the
NES and Famicom versions of Castlevania 3, you have graphical changes like
the vampire frogs (!) replaced with hunchbacks. The game functions
identically despite this graphical change, but it could be argued there is a
different interpretation if there are hunchbacks. However, the handshake
switch does change some meaning in the game (Trevor is righty or lefty/he is
shaking Sypha's hand or holding it delicately). On a more dramatic level,
the music is superior in the Famicom version, so this is a something notable
that could affect a player's perception (better music makes players think
the game is better). However, there is also a rule change where the damage
taken is different - in the US version, damage is based on game level while
in the Famicom, it is based on what kind of enemy hits you (which makes
later stages easier). I'm not sure I would consider these big enough
differences though to warrant calling it a different game, more like
different version numbers. With the Golden Axe examples, I think there's
greater leeway in calling a port a different game. There simply isn't an
analogue to this in film or novels because the content doesn't really change
if it's on vhs or dvd or in times new roman versus arial.

http://www.castlevaniadungeon.net/Games/cv3foreign.html

The second I think is this dismissal of piracy categories, and here I think
there needs some clarification. Game lists such as 'Goodtools' can be very
useful in documenting changes between two games. However, these are not
currently tied to metadata so we don't know exactly what changes were made
or where each version came from (usually). I wouldn't completely dismiss
this resource as a byte-to-byte comparison of the games can indicate if
there is a difference in two games for the same platform.