[game_preservation] Hunt the Wumpus - 1972 or 1973?

Henry Lowood lowood at stanford.edu
Mon Mar 22 18:16:12 EDT 2010

Yes, we have most - or probably I should say many - of their
publications. But I have used the Newsletter myself, so I know we have
most of them.

Henry

Devin Monnens wrote:

> [...]

>> On Mon, Mar 22, 2010 at 12:27 PM, Devin Monnens

>> <dmonnens at gmail.com <mailto:dmonnens at gmail.com>> wrote:

>> Henry,

>> Indeed, that is the exact story that Yob tells in Creative

>> Computing. Hurkle, Snark, and Mugwump are available in the

>> 101 BASIC Computer Games (well, Hurkle and Mugwump are...).

>> He disliked that they were played on cartesian grids. Wumpus

>> 2 plays around with all different kinds of maps, but that

>> came out years later. These games were 'published' in the

>> February 1973 PCC newsletter, but precious few of these

>> newsletters seem to exist. The 'Best of' collections don't

>> list publication date, but if you check the covers in the

>> front of the book, it states 'Wumpus' very clearly on the

>> October/November 1975 issue.

>> http://www.atariarchives.org/bcc1/showpage.php?page=247

>> I'm also snagging a copy of What to do after you hit RETURN

>> from interlibrary loan. This is a collection of games made at

>> the PCC; book was published in 1977. Hopefully, it has more

>> information.

>> -Devin

>> On Mon, Mar 22, 2010 at 12:18 PM, Henry Lowood

>> <lowood at stanford.edu <mailto:lowood at stanford.edu>> wrote:

>> Devin,

>> from word-of-mouth stories, I have the impression that he

>> did the work here, quickly (as you say) at the PCC. In

>> fact, part of the story is that he noticed people playing

>> certain kinds of games at the PCC and thought that other

>> topologies would be intriguing. But again, this is just

>> an impression I have from various conversations over the

>> years. I have written about it just a bit from the

>> available sources, which from your account must have been

>> the same ones that you used.

>> You might try asking people like Liza Loop or Jim Warren,

>> who were around during the PCC days. They might know.

>> I was not aware of Yob's passing nor his decision to be

>> cryofrozen. Interesting.

>> Henry

>> Devin Monnens wrote:

>>> Wikipedia states that Hunt the Wumpus "was noticed on

>>> mainframe computers as early as 1972". However, in

>>> Gregory Yob's article for Creative Computing (published

>>> Oct/Nov 1975), he states that he designed that game

>>> "about two years ago", placing it squarely in 1973. He

>>> says he dropped it off at the People's Computer Company

>>> and about one month afterward went to the Synergy

>>> Conference at Stanford (held May 9-13, 1973). This would

>>> mean he built the game probably in April 1973 - or at

>>> least dropped it off at PCC in late March, early April.

>>> From the way he tells the story, it sounds like he built

>>> it in one afternoon (which would make more sense if he

>>> was visiting out of state - though I can't get

>>> confirmation that he was a Dartmouth alumni because

>>> Wikipedia is the sole source of info - and I think there

>>> it's referencing Dot Eaters.). So...was this built on a

>>> teletype at Dartmouth in 1972 or in California in 1973?

>>> Also...Greg Yob passed away in 2005, which I wasn't

>>> aware of. However, he has been cryofrozen and so when

>>> the technology becomes available, we can resurrect him

>>> and ask him more about Wumpus. I can envision people

>>> from the future resurrecting Yob to hunt real wumpuses

>>> (Wumpi?) that have infested the Arizona desert after the

>>> apocalypse.

>>> www.deserthat.com <http://www.deserthat.com>