[game_preservation] Doom and Double D Dodgeball delisted from XBLA

Henry Lowood lowood at stanford.edu
Tue Oct 26 12:29:51 EDT 2010

Devin,

Yes, the original version of DOOM (actually, all the major versions up
to 1.9, I think) are in the repositories that were involved with the PVW
project.

Digital distribution is going to be a major archival problem, but not
just for games -- movies, books, practically everything. Games are just
the vanguard.

Henry

On 10/25/2010 8:02 PM, Devin Monnens wrote:

> Well, our fears of digital distribution longevity are now confirmed:

> two more games have disappeared quietly and without warning from XBLA.

> Apparently, you can still download if you bought them, but for how long?

> I assume Stanford has a copy of Doom for the Doom archive?

> http://www.destructoid.com/doom-and-double-d-dodgeball-delisted-from-xbla

> www.deserthat.com <http://www.deserthat.com>

Curator for History of Science& Technology Collections;
Film& Media Collections
HRG, Green Library, 557 Escondido Mall
Stanford University Libraries, Stanford CA 94305-6004