[game_preservation] Gerald A Lawson Dies

Henry Lowood lowood at stanford.edu
Thu Apr 14 23:52:14 EDT 2011

Devin,

One correction: The Lawson appearance at GDC was pretty well publicized
within IGDA; the appearance was ignored by the Diversity SIG and I
believe that their meeting was where his appearance occurred. In fact,
I inquired at GDC about his papers and will pursue this further.

Henry

On 4/14/2011 5:42 PM, Devin Monnens wrote:

> I failed to read this far into the New York Times this morning, but

> this afternoon I discovered that Gerald A Lawson, the creator of the

> Channel F and Demolition Derby, died on April 9. It's funny because I

> /just/ read about him in /Replay/ (reading through it now) and he also

> appeared at GDC though none of us seems to have known about this! The

> article also mentions that Lawson received an award from the IGDA (I

> think this was at the IGDA Diversity Ceremony across the street...).

> Being both a pioneer in game design and electronics engineering

> through the invention of interchangeable game cartridges, Lawson was

> also black - a rarity in the field both then and now (IGDA Diversity

> reports only 2% of the industry is black). Lawson was 70, and I hope

> he remains an inspiration to us all.

> http://www.nytimes.com/2011/04/14/technology/personaltech/14lawson.html

> http://praiseindy.com/national/wtlcam/african-american-gaming-pioneer-gerald-a-lawson-dies/

> http://www.youtube.com/user/IGDAGameDiversity?feature=mhum#p/a/u/0/-b1gnCMeiJI -

> Fantastic information on Mr. Lawson from GDC via IGDA Diversity SIG

> By the way, was anyone here aware Mr. Lawson was at GDC?

> www.deserthat.com <http://www.deserthat.com>

Curator, History of Science& Technology Collections;
Film& Media Collections
HRG, Green Library, 557 Escondido Mall
650-723-4602; lowood at stanford.edu
http://www.stanford.edu/~lowood