[game_preservation] Kotaku: Videogame History Museum Kickstarter short on funds

Henry Lowood lowood at stanford.edu
Tue Aug 23 12:30:06 EDT 2011

Just a reminder: The Preserving Virtual Worlds final report goes into
some of the issues that have been discussed here. I think we came out
in pretty good shape on transfer, ingest, metadata control, etc. Not so
far on capture, imaging and access, and the Second Life case and
machinima conference told us plenty about the difficulties introduced by
"soft" issues such as privacy concerns, legal environments, etc.
https://www.ideals.illinois.edu/handle/2142/17097

Henry

On 8/23/2011 8:55 AM, Christian Bartsch wrote:

> That would actually be my concern. Due to excessive use of copy

> protection many disks won't be readable this way and in even fewer

> cases you would be able to write such data back without losing

> something. Protections were designed like this on purpose.

> And even if you would try to repair something that actually could be

> written with legacy hardware, you would once and for all lose the

> option to do a further analysis. Drives like e.g. the 1541 alter

> (=modify) data while reading. Without replicator information that

> might have been present in the first place you will be unable to

> verify integrity and authenticity because you have nothing to compare

> against.

> You would be surprised how much of the games in circulation were fixed

> on consumer machines. We can detect this, and such a copy would be

> unusable for preservation because of this.

> Apart from this, almost every image format we came across has its

> flaws. It's okay if people do this for their own collection, but this

> is where I would draw the line between professional preservation and

> hobby. Data should not be discarded because there is no room for it in

> the image format.

>> Another option (which requires the original hardware) is creating a

>> disc image and restoring the image to the disc once deterioration

>> occurs, which is another common practice.

Curator for History of Science& Technology Collections;
Film& Media Collections
HRG, Green Library, 557 Escondido Mall
Stanford University Libraries, Stanford CA 94305-6004