[game_preservation] Kotaku: Videogame History MuseumKickstarter short on funds

Christian Bartsch cb at softpres.org
Tue Aug 23 15:34:54 EDT 2011

I know such problems from DVD manufacturing. Some bonding isn't stable, and in combination with the wrong packaging (color with solvents), can lead to the bonding becoming blind or worse.

Such problems might arise with floppy disks, too, although this would be more an issue of the coating coming off the surface. Moisture is also a problem. So for preservation the removal of shrink wrap is a must. I already found some games looking very well, that were full of mould.

I doubt static effects should be an issue, given the fact that cassettes come with their own style of packaging, as well as floppy disks.

--
Christian Bartsch
The Software Preservation Society