[game_preservation] Kotaku: Videogame History Museum Kickstarter short on funds

Henry Lowood lowood at stanford.edu
Tue Aug 23 17:33:48 EDT 2011

Christian, in fact I agree with your objection! That's part of what I
meant when I wrote that IMHO capture and imaging were the weaker parts
of the report. However, I think that we have worked out a lot of issues
for transfer to and ingest by a robust digital repository. And often
capture is not so complex; for example, it is not that difficult to
verify a DOOM installation package. I guess another issue is that of
file vs. image capture, but in many cases particularly of the more
modern games, file capture is good enough, since these installation
packages were made with awareness of network-based distribution. DOOM
is a good example of that.

And yes, we are moving forward with the one proposal for imaging here,
and I will be talking with my colleagues real soon to see how we can
work with SPS with some of the materials on earlier media formats. The
Cabrinety has been housed in very stable environmental conditions, so I
am hopeful that most of the media can still be read -- note that the
collection goes back to the Odyssey, so nearly 40 years! It will be a
good test of media longevity under real-world (rather than lab-test)
conditions.

Henry

On 8/23/2011 1:12 PM, Christian Bartsch wrote:

> Henry, thanks for the read! I saw some familiar names there that I

> already got in touch with over KryoFlux. ;)

> On page 52 in the second paragraph ("Copyright") I found this: "This

> is typically done by creating an image of the original media; that is,

> making an exact, bit-for-bit replica of the disk that can then be

> mounted from the hard drive or burned to a fresh disk (e.g. an ISO or

> IMG file)" and I would have to object.

> While I agree that a bit for bit replica of the disk (or disc) is what

> one would want, both image formats named - ISO and IMG - are unable to

> carry the information that might be present on the source. To my

> understanding e.g. an ISO can not hold the protection data used by

> e.g. SecuROM or CD Cops. The same applies for IMG files, which are

> sector dumps only. You can only store decoded data in them, thus

> eliminating everything that does not fit the structure of the IMG

> (=everything that is non-standard, like copy protection).

> I think we really have to demo this with a forensic dump of some game

> sooner or later. I know hundreds of games that use something that

> won't fit into any standard container, e.g. a recording density based

> Rob Northen Copylock. The only chance you'd have for such data present

> in an IMG (or ADF if we'd be speaking about an Amiga game) would be

> the removal of the protection, thus cracking it. Since many of the

> later games on Amiga and Atari with Copylock use a trace vector

> decoder (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Trace_vector_decoder) -

> basically a hardware assisted way to decrypt the current instruction

> in memory only and leave the rest obfuscated - this would need a

> pretty skilled person. Taking into account that many games we prepared

> to fool crackers and had additional checks that would see if the

> Copylock is still in place, this is a demanding task.

> The only alternative is reading and preserving disks at the bit-level,

> taking note of everything, describing (scripting) it and making sure

> it will be interpreted correctly. The only way to achieve this is to

> preserve mastering data, data that describes how a disk should be

> written, not how it was read. This is why we spent ten years on IPF

> (Interchangeable Preservation Format), which already supports Amiga,

> Atari ST, IBM PC, Spectrum and Amstrad CPC. Other platforms, like C64,

> are in development, but we needed to develop a 5.25" drive (to be

> precise a modification) first that can read disks the way they were

> produced - in one single pass, with a drive that physically can access

> track -8, to access track 0 on the flip side (where all tracks are

> shifted by -8 tracks).

> Having said that we are eager to exchange information and help getting

> more titles preserved the right way...

> --

> Christian Bartsch

> The Software Preservation Society

> http://www.softpres.org <http://www.softpres.org/>

> [...]

Curator for History of Science& Technology Collections;
Film& Media Collections
HRG, Green Library, 557 Escondido Mall
Stanford University Libraries, Stanford CA 94305-6004