[game_preservation] Mold removal from floppy disks

Devin Monnens dmonnens at gmail.com
Thu Dec 22 10:19:56 EST 2011

Has the SPS or any other organizations worked with mold removal from
magnetic disks? I notice there are several articles (such as a sample
below) that discuss methods that sound non-destructive to the media
(but fully destructive against the mold!), but I was curious how
effective this process is and how stable the media is after the mold
has been removed. I think this is particularly relevant to game
preservation in Japan, where the climate results in many disks having
mold damage.

Joseph Redon tells me he hasn't heard of any scientific studies on the
efficacy of it, but that he has some skills in removal (just doesn't
have someone to work full-time on care and cleaning of roughly
4000-5000 disks. So if you know anyone who is skilled in this area and
interested in coming to Japan, I can send him or her the contact
information!).

http://cool.conservation-us.org/byorg/abbey/an/an25/an25-4/an25-408.html
- article from 2001