[game_preservation] Should Wikipedia Be Responsible for Gaming's History?

Devin Monnens dmonnens at gmail.com
Thu Jan 20 13:37:17 EST 2011

This is why I use Wikipedia as an enabler to find information. I don't trust
anything unless I can find a source document. And even then, the source is
subject to scrutiny. For instance, was Napoleon really a good chess player
(it has some relevance to The Turk). Some primary sources say yes, others
say no. Likewise, when exactly was Quevedo's chess player designed? I've got
books from the 50s that date all over the place, yet Wikipedia states 1912;
therefore, to an average reader, 1912 is accepted as fact (same with the
Moon Patrol article). The trouble is, the Wikipedia article doesn't state
that other dates are proposed, nor does it say why those dates (or
statements) are made.

Logically, if Wikipedia's source material is flawed, then the entry is
flawed and the source material cannot be said to be reliable, even if the
website as a whole is said to be. This is a serious issue for a website that
has become the defacto authority for information among the general web-using
populace and the reason why many instructors deny their students the ability
to use Wikipedia as a source.