[game_preservation] Descriptive terms for Video Games

Pugh, Richard rpugh at loc.gov
Thu Jun 9 17:14:02 EDT 2011

Greetings, all.

Some of us at NAVCC are building an archival collection of video games, both console and platform based. We are cataloging the items using conventional machine-readable cataloging records, and the standardized Americal Library Association descriptive rules for computer files.

While the descriptive aspect of this project is doing very well, we are having some trouble with subject analysis and genre selection. We have found the Library of Congress subject headings to be sorely lacking, and the new Library of Congress genre form headings are (so far) a minimal improvement. We're looking into using a different thesaurus of descriptive terms, or, developing our own list. Has anyone in here found or developed a thesaurus (or term list) for describing video games? If so, I would be interested to know more about such lists.

Thank you,

Richard J. Pugh
Motion Picture, Broadcast, & Recorded Sound Division
National Audio-Visual Conservation Center, Library of Congress
(202) 707-6636 / rpugh at loc.gov