[game_preservation] Descriptive terms for Video Games

Jim Leonard trixter at oldskool.org
Wed Jun 15 21:45:00 EDT 2011

On 6/15/2011 4:35 AM, Andrew Armstrong wrote:

> For instance, many games include multiplayer (surely some form of genre

> we'd all agree!),

I don't agree. "Multiplayer" is not a genre, it is a gameplay mechanic
modifier. If someone describes a game as multiplayer and then stops,
you still have no idea what kind of game it is, other than it allows
more than one person to play, usually simultaneously.

> Also, Jim, interesting to see why RPG isn't under Adventure! Always

> confused me a bit that :)

Not to get morose or preachy, but I never really got over that. It
forced me to choose whether or not I would retain structural control and
direction over MobyGames, or lose the community. I chose to keep the
community because I saw it as more important for the long-term health,
growth, and maintenance of MobyGames.

I don't have the message board thread handy, but I believe the example
everyone rallied for was Nethack/Roguelike games. They saw those games
as "pure" RPG, deserving of its own genre, missing the fact that
roleplaying is a subset of every adventure.
--
Jim Leonard (trixter at oldskool.org) http://www.oldskool.org/
Check out some trippy MindCandy at http://www.mindcandydvd.com/