[game_preservation] Original DOOM reviews

Henry Lowood lowood at stanford.edu
Tue Mar 1 21:26:24 EST 2011

Dan,

It's worth running searches on Google Books (for magazine reviews) and
archived Google Groups (search doom review and limit to 1994, I found a
bunch of links to reviews or comments on reviews by doing that). I
found a couple in Google Books by running the search - Doom review
1994. If you have access to electronic indexes that cover print
magazines generally, that would be another place to look. I don't know
which commercial indexes you have at your industry, or I would recommend
one.

Of course, it's not all necessarily useful information, like this snip
from one post from alt.games.doom (28 March 1994):

I just read a*review*of*Doom*in some gaming*magazine*(I can't remember which
one, but it's the one where they have three reviewers for each game and they
score by percentage). While it got good reviews overall, two of the
reviewers
seemed to say that they liked Wolfenstein 3-D better!!! I don't have the
*review*with me, but I think one of them didn't like the automap (?!!!) and
felt that Wolf 3-D had more atmosphere or suspense.

That should get you right to it!

Henry

On 3/1/2011 1:27 AM, Dan Pinchbeck wrote:

> Cheers Rowan, will have a hunt around there

> Dan

> Dr Dan Pinchbeck

> thechineseroom

> University of Portsmouth, UK

> www.thechineseroom.co.uk

> www.keep-project.eu

> You might be able to find some here:

> http://www.gnomeslair.com/2007/11/gaming-magazines-of-pre-internet-era.html

> I believe newsgroup archives are accessible, though I've never gone

> that far myself, and could have citations or transcribed reviews.

> Rowan

> On Mon, Feb 28, 2011 at 1:05 AM, Dan Pinchbeck

> <dan.pinchbeck at port.ac.uk <mailto:dan.pinchbeck at port.ac.uk>> wrote:

> Hey all,

> I'm on the hunt for any reviews and press of the original 1993

> DOOM when it hit - anyone got anything lurking around any old

> magazines out there?

> Thanks

> Dan

> Dr Dan Pinchbeck

> Reader in Computer Games

> University of Portsmouth, UK

> www.thechineseroom.co.uk <http://www.thechineseroom.co.uk>

Curator, History of Science& Technology Collections;
Film& Media Collections
HRG, Green Library, 557 Escondido Mall
650-723-4602; lowood at stanford.edu
http://www.stanford.edu/~lowood