[game_preservation] Possible Quarterly Project: evangelism

Henry Lowood lowood at stanford.edu
Fri Mar 4 01:41:36 EST 2011

Alex,

One thing the SIG should try to do before too long is develop a
communication package on the issues involved, pay-offs for companies
that consider preservation, etc. What in my old days would be called a
... brochure. Not sure that's the best format these days. But I do
think that's a good target in terms of length and attention draw. And
yes, I think that could be finished in a quarter.

The next step would be to figure out a communication strategy in terms
of who contacts whom. My own preference would be to take a networked
approach and have specific institutions or individuals take
responsibility for specific regions -- where they are more likely to
have contacts. Also, I think it would be very useful to organize
potential repositories as a network, as well.

Henry

On 3/3/2011 7:16 PM, Alex Handy wrote:

> It was suggested during the Preservation SIG, yesterday, that this SIG

> undertake quarterly projects.

> Then, the following day, at the preservation roundtable, it was

> suggested that a possible project for the next quarter could be

> evangelism.

> That is, the contacting of game companies and IP rights holders in

> order to educate them on the importance of having their own archives

> in order, preserved, and safe.

> What say ye?

Curator, History of Science& Technology Collections;
Film& Media Collections
HRG, Green Library, 557 Escondido Mall
650-723-4602; lowood at stanford.edu
http://www.stanford.edu/~lowood