[game_preservation] Possible Quarterly Project: evangelism

Henry Lowood lowood at stanford.edu
Fri Mar 4 12:08:47 EST 2011

Alex,

Well, a website is both more and less than what I had in mind. The
website is a bit more because it usually involves more content than is
necessary for the first touch and grabbing some mind-share. Also, as
Andrew pointed out, we have a good bit of content on the SIG wiki -- the
IGDA website is another matter, which Andrew could get explain a bit
more. Suffice it to say, not much on the IGDA site. Also, a website is
not sticky like a physical brochure can be. Some people toss them, but
a lot of people kept them around, for a while or a long time. You can
hand them out at a meeting, and show the one you picked up to somebody
else over coffee. Etc. We need a mix of web-based and f2f ways of
leaving the message with people, so maybe a brochure or flyer (or
something else), in combination with content we push out on the web ...

About the meme -- this made me think of "Before It's Too Late," which
was the title of our White Paper, which reminded me to remind members
that it is available, either as a free download or a modestly priced
print publication. (We waived all the royalties.) More details on the
wiki!

Henry

On 3/3/2011 10:49 PM, Alex Handy wrote:

> I agree, Henry, but I think in modern terms, we'd call that brochure a

> Website.

> This project sounds like it requires some Internets.

> To start with, we probably need a list of all the active videogame

> companies. Does IGDA have something like that, or should we build a

> list from scratch? We have a Wiki already set up at wiki.themade.org

> <http://wiki.themade.org>, or we can all share a Google doc. Either

> way, we can segment out the companies in such a list and divy them up.

> Some companies ya'll have obviously already contacted, and I know

> Activision already has an archivist.

> Perhaps we could create some sort of marketing campaign, or meme?

> "Don't throw it out!" or some sort of advertising-ish slogan?

> As for repositories, I'm going to speak to a few hosting companies

> next week.

> On Thu, Mar 3, 2011 at 10:41 PM, Henry Lowood <lowood at stanford.edu

> <mailto:lowood at stanford.edu>> wrote:

> Alex,

> One thing the SIG should try to do before too long is develop a

> communication package on the issues involved, pay-offs for

> companies that consider preservation, etc. What in my old days

> would be called a ... brochure. Not sure that's the best format

> these days. But I do think that's a good target in terms of

> length and attention draw. And yes, I think that could be

> finished in a quarter.

> The next step would be to figure out a communication strategy in

> terms of who contacts whom. My own preference would be to take a

> networked approach and have specific institutions or individuals

> take responsibility for specific regions -- where they are more

> likely to have contacts. Also, I think it would be very useful

> to organize potential repositories as a network, as well.

> Henry

Curator for History of Science& Technology Collections;
Film& Media Collections
HRG, Green Library, 557 Escondido Mall
Stanford University Libraries, Stanford CA 94305-6004