[game_preservation] Digital Game Museum?

Henry Lowood lowood at stanford.edu
Sun May 1 17:27:25 EDT 2011

Alex,

That's interesting. The Editor-in-chief is George Jones, right? Maybe,
like me, he thought the piece WAS about the MADE. It really was
incredibly short on details and that's what I thought at first. Another
point is that I know the Computer Museum people pretty well, and the
woman you met (if she's the one listed on the website) used to work
there -- yet I haven't heard about this at all from the Computer Museum
folks. Which reinforces your impression that this operation is not tied
in with other efforts.

I'll send an e-mail to inquire about the logo and suggest that they
might want to consider working with other groups.

Henry

On 5/1/2011 11:25 AM, Alex Handy wrote:

> The DGM was at GDC. We (the MADE) talked to an older lady from their

> group, and it was kinda a weird conversation.

> It sounded like they'd been doing this for a while, but the lady was

> quite bitter when I mentioned other efforts. She made it sound like

> they didn't want anything to do with the SIG and Preserving Virtual

> Worlds. Just the impression I got. She then asked us if we had any

> space to store their stuff because it was all in a garage right now.

> We're open to collaborating with them, but the impression I got from

> meeting one of their peoples at GDC was that they weren't terribly

> interested in what else was being done out there.

> I could be completely wrong about the org, but that's what my first

> impression was.

> Also, oddly, the EiC of Maximum PC is on the MADE's advisory board...

> He doesn't write about us though....

> On Sun, May 1, 2011 at 2:29 AM, Andrew Armstrong

> <andrew at aarmstrong.org <mailto:andrew at aarmstrong.org>> wrote:

> Hmm, that I think is worth asking about, I know before we chose

> that logo we made sure no one else was using something similar...I

> know we're not going to change ours anytime soon unless someone

> wants to make a new one :)

> I mean we have been using it for a fair few years now, and of

> course while places still pop up without knowing about this group

> it's a bit bizarre how similar it is. At least contact them about

> us existing!

> Andrew

> On 01/05/2011 03:50, Henry Lowood wrote:

>> Devin,

>> Your last sentence: That's what made me wonder, too. I suspect

>> that Halfhill wrote the piece, because he was asked to be on the

>> Board and it probably seemed like a good thing to him. However,

>> it's clear from the write-up that he knew very little about the

>> Museum. Something didn't seem quite right when I read it, which

>> is why I poked around.

>> By the way, when searching google one of the results pointed to a

>> logo design contest, so I think it is possible that somebody

>> "borrowed" the SIG's design and the Museum just didn't check.

>> Henry

>> On 4/30/2011 7:35 PM, Devin Monnens wrote:

>>> Good point. I haven't heard of these guys. As for the logo,

>>> considering how few people seem to know about our SIG, I

>>> wouldn't be surprised if this was independently created, so I

>>> don't think they stole it. However, I can see problems with this

>>> causing confusion (is Digital Game Museum part of the IGDA Game

>>> Preservation SIG? Is the SIG part of DGM?) though I don't think

>>> it's a dreadful issue. Of course, our logo doesn't have a

>>> trademark on it, so it would be more out of courtesy if we asked

>>> them to change it.

>>> Actually, I'm also wondering why this new group got a writeup on

>>> Maximum PC rather than any of the bigger archives in Silicon

>>> Valley. I mean, great that a new archive can get coverage, but

>>> aren't there a half-dozen more in that area?

>>> On Sat, Apr 30, 2011 at 8:22 PM, Henry Lowood

>>> All,

>>> http://www.digitalgamemuseum.org/

>>> It seems to be very, very new -- maybe only a couple of

>>> weeks. I don't find any dates earlier than April 29th on

>>> the site, though the pages are copyright 2010. The website

>>> is very thin on content, and the small collection is tiny --

>>> probably just a couple of small, random gifts. I briefly

>>> considered that this might even be a joke of some sort.

>>> While considering that possibility something caught my eye

>>> that bothered me: Check out the logo. Look familiar?

>>> Does anybody know anything about this operation? What do

>>> you think about the logo? Is it something we (I guess that

>>> means me) should ask them about?

>>> Henry

>>> 650-723-4602 <tel:650-723-4602>; lowood at stanford.edu

>>> http://www.stanford.edu/~lowood