[game_preservation] Note to Digital Game Museum

Henry Lowood lowood at stanford.edu
Wed May 4 12:36:24 EDT 2011

Ok, I went to the Digital Game Museum contact form and sent them the
following message. It's a bit clipped, but I blame that on the cramped
form box, not my attitude. :)

Hello, I am the Curator for History of Science & Technology Museums at
Stanford University, where we have both a large research collection on
the history of digital games and several ongoing research and
preservation projects. I'm writing, first, to suggest that you consider
linking up with other efforts in the area of digital game history, such
as the IGDA Preservation SIG or the new MADE in San Francisco.
Secondly, I'm writing to ask about the logo of the Digital Game Museum.
If you go over to the Preservation SIG's site, you'll notice that what
is represented in your logo is virtually identical to the logo of the
SIG. E.g., here: http://www.igda.org/preservation/. We're a little
concerned that this might cause some confusion, esp. since the SIG has
been around for a while and this might be construed as suggesting that
the SIG is behind the Museum. I should mention that I am currently
chairing the SIG, which is why I am bringing the logo issue to your
attention. We welcome any efforts to collaborate (either Stanford or the
SIG) and hope to hear more about what you have in mind.

Curator for History of Science& Technology Collections;
Film& Media Collections
HRG, Green Library, 557 Escondido Mall
Stanford University Libraries, Stanford CA 94305-6004