[game_preservation] Note to Digital Game Museum

Henry Lowood lowood at stanford.edu
Fri May 6 17:16:16 EDT 2011

All,

I heard back from Judith Haemmerle from the Digital Games Museum. It
was a nice note, and she said she would join the SIG. I hope to meet
with her soon to talk about collaboration. Here is her reply regarding
the logo:

"I had to chuckle over the logo - ours was cobbled together as a
placeholder by our non-gamer website developer from clip art! We have
commissioned a new logo, since obviously clip art isn't really design.
The new logo should be up in a few days. Good ideas seem to strike in
multiple places!"

So, that's that. I think they are just very new. Alex and his crew at
the MADE are now the grizzled veterans.

Henry

On 5/4/2011 9:36 AM, Henry Lowood wrote:

> Ok, I went to the Digital Game Museum contact form and sent them the

> following message. It's a bit clipped, but I blame that on the

> cramped form box, not my attitude. :)

> Hello, I am the Curator for History of Science & Technology Museums at

> Stanford University, where we have both a large research collection on

> the history of digital games and several ongoing research and

> preservation projects. I'm writing, first, to suggest that you

> consider linking up with other efforts in the area of digital game

> history, such as the IGDA Preservation SIG or the new MADE in San

> Francisco. Secondly, I'm writing to ask about the logo of the Digital

> Game Museum. If you go over to the Preservation SIG's site, you'll

> notice that what is represented in your logo is virtually identical to

> the logo of the SIG. E.g., here: http://www.igda.org/preservation/.

> We're a little concerned that this might cause some confusion, esp.

> since the SIG has been around for a while and this might be construed

> as suggesting that the SIG is behind the Museum. I should mention that

> I am currently chairing the SIG, which is why I am bringing the logo

> issue to your attention. We welcome any efforts to collaborate (either

> Stanford or the SIG) and hope to hear more about what you have in mind.

> Henry Lowood

> Henry

Curator for History of Science& Technology Collections;
Film& Media Collections
HRG, Green Library, 557 Escondido Mall
Stanford University Libraries, Stanford CA 94305-6004