[game_preservation] Dreamcast Archival

Devin Monnens dmonnens at gmail.com
Tue May 24 15:50:52 EDT 2011

Andrew,

You statement sounds a little like the Software Preservation Society's
Kryoflux method. Care to elaborate a little?

I think you can technically back up some of this stuff as a personal copy,
but that's never really been tested in court as far as I'm aware (just look
at the MPAA with regards to CD copy for personal use and their refusal to
make a clear statement on the subject).

The only statement I have to make on Dreamcast is that some of the optical
discs have been reported to start fading (and actually, I think 3DO stuff is
more cheaply made - I know I can see completely through some of my
discs...). Optical media archival isn't as pressing a concern as magnetic
disk media, but the outcomes of magnetic disk preservation will have two
effects.

1. The outcomes of magnetic disk preservation will have a strong impact on
how companies react to game preservation; SPS and other preservation groups
use black boxes, but the walls of the institution are not strong enough to
prevent copyright infringement fears. Essentially, it will color the legal
solution and process of hammering one out.

2. The extent to which magnetic disk media gets preserved will provide a
case study for archival of later media formats, including how much gets
preserved and how it gets preserved.

With regards to studying how discs work...(say file structure, date files
were created, etc), I don't know if simply putting a Dreamcast disc into
your system and then reading the file format would be considered a copyright
violation, even though that's a necessary means for conducting said
research.