[game_preservation] Computer Legend and Gaming Pioneer Jack Tramiel Dies at Age 83

Billy Cain billyjoecain at gmail.com
Tue Apr 10 12:00:30 EDT 2012

Devin,

I also share your balanced opinion on Mr. Tramiel. He was allegedly
responsible for destroying the Atari 2600 market (printing more ET carts
than there were 2600s because the software would move more hardware, for
example). I would love to hear a counterpoint to that, because I have
always heard it said that this led to the desctuction of the home videogame
market (circa 1984). Since I lived through that at just the right time (I
was 17 in '84), it broke my heart to see that.

But, his overall efforts should not be discounted by that decision that may
have not even been his. It could have been done by the "machine" of the
company.

Billy Cain
Geek / Catalyst

http://www.linkedin.com/in/billyjoecain