[game_preservation] Computer Legend and Gaming Pioneer Jack Tramiel Dies at Age 83

Martin Goldberg wgungfu at gmail.com
Mon Apr 23 16:12:56 EDT 2012

Hey guys, just got back from Silicon Valley then conducting 80
interviews with people from Atari's Inc.'s Coin and Consumer
departments, shipping back boxes full of donated materials for the
archives, and 10 additional pounds on myself from the many lunch and
dinner meetings. ;)

I'll get the Tramiel piece together, have to submit a followup article
to Forbes on Jack's legacy and another one for Retro Gamer magazine.

I have to say the most surreal moment was doing a group meeting of
ex-Consumer people (game programmers and artists) in front of their
old building on Gibralter. The building is not being used right now,
so we were able to meet on some stone picnic tables by the entry way.
Just as we're getting ready to wrap up, the building maintenance guy
shows up. Some of the guys ask "Hey, can we go in? We used to work
here when it was owned by Atari." The guy magically said "Sure, why
not?" and proceeded to let us in. So we wandered through the very
building the 2600 and 5200 games were coded in all those years ago,
with everyone reminiscing the entire time on what used to be where.

Unfortunately, David Crane and Howard Scott Warshaw had to leave early
that day as they missed out on the treat.

On Wed, Apr 11, 2012 at 4:14 PM, Jim Leonard <trixter at oldskool.org> wrote:

> On 4/10/2012 12:35 PM, Martin Goldberg wrote:

>> also guaranteed the game would be out for the Christmas season, which

>> meant Howard Scott Warshaw was forced to do an extremely short

>> development time.

> A lot of people miss this when talking about ET -- I believe Warshaw had

> about 6 weeks from nothing to finished product, and when you consider how

> difficult the 2600 was to program for, it's a very admirable effort.  I

> encourage people to read Montfort and Bogost's "Racing The Beam", then fire

> up ET and try to figure out how the title screen graphic was possible.

> --

> Jim Leonard (trixter at oldskool.org)            http://www.oldskool.org/

> Check out some trippy MindCandy at        http://www.mindcandydvd.com/

> A child borne of the home computer wars:  http://trixter.oldskool.org/