[game_preservation] Release date of the Odyssey?

Benj Edwards editor at vintagecomputing.com
Tue Aug 7 12:49:20 EDT 2012

Thanks, Frank. It's good to see you too. I have the highest respect
for everyone I've seen so far on this list, so I'm glad I've finally
joined up.

I've asked Ralph a few times about the release date of the Odyssey, and
he simply points to his book, "Videogames...In The Beginning." From that
book, I determined a general August 1972 release date (I don't have the
exact page number on hand).

Ralph can't provide a more precise answer because he doesn't (and
didn't) have access to internal Magnavox records, and he wasn't privy to
internal marketing and distribution conversations at Magnavox.
Essentially, he did his initial work (Brown Box prototype) and handed
off to Magnavox, who made a commercial product out of it.

Coincidentally, I took apart a Magnavox Odyssey a few months ago and
turned it into a slideshow for PC World. Anyone interested in the
Odyssey (and moss) might enjoy it.

http://www.pcworld.com/article/256101/inside_the_magnavox_odyssey_the_first_video_game_console.html

As an aside, you guys might enjoy looking at this US patent for the
Odyssey's exterior plastic housing:

http://www.google.com/patents?id=kK4nAAAAEBAJ&zoom=4&dq=magnavox%20game&pg=PA1#v=onepage&q=magnavox%20game&f=false

It has the designers' names on it, if anyone feels like tracking them
down. I did a little work on that front, but had to abandon it to move
on to another project.

Kind Regards,
Benj