[game_preservation] History of "game engine"

Devin Monnens dmonnens at gmail.com
Tue Aug 7 17:58:37 EDT 2012

Yes, I think it should be important to discuss early types of 'engines' -
that is to say, systems that recycled similar blocks of code to make
development easier. For instance, all the Mega Man games would have used
the same 'engine', although how often that 'engine' was used to create
other games...I couldn't tell you. So if you're talking about history of
engines, that's a good place to start.

What I think though is that an 'engine' is a basic set of code that
developers - particularly *other* developers - can use to build games. But
I think game developers will often refer to an 'engine' as a system used to
power their game.