[game_preservation] MoMA Game Collection

Devin Monnens dmonnens at gmail.com
Thu Dec 6 06:46:05 EST 2012

I'm sure many of you are aware of this, but I wanted to bring it up here
because I had a few observations/questions.

http://www.moma.org/explore/inside_out/2012/11/29/video-games-14-in-the-collection-for-starters

First, I like how they have selected a series of criteria for which to
evaluate the games (even though the casual dismissal of 'of course, games
are art!' was a bit surprising, even for someone who has taught a class on
it).

What interests me though is the images they chose, the emphasis on source
code and original hardware, and technical data for the games. Essentially,
with Tetris, they show a picture of the Electronika 60 version, which is
really quite surprising. Does this mean the MoMA acquired one? And with
something like MYST and Another World, are they looking at the original
release or a re-release? (Especially important with Another World since
later PC releases added new material.) Is anyone here involved with the
project who can clarify?

It's interesting they put a lot of focus on being able to get the games to
run in the future - hence source code and documentation, as well as
collection of original hardware. It looks like they are taking both methods
as possible approaches.