[game_preservation] "Selecting Save on the Games We Make" on Gamasutra & at PAX East

John Andersen gamerep at hotmail.com
Tue Feb 28 00:06:10 EST 2012

Hi Chris,

It's so true in regards to companies coming and going (or even relocating or shuffling office space) that things are lost or tossed. I know there is an archivist at Blizzard, but as for other companies, it's not very clear if there are full-time archivists employed. The IT departments of many (not all) developers are ultimately responsible for making sure things are backed up onsite and offsite. The IT guy at Gearbox was the one who responded to my questions the last article, and he went into a little detail about the challenges of retrieving code from older media.

It's frustrating, because like everyone I've also heard so many different stories. It's just getting other people to be concerned and help out, that is the ultimate challenge.

If I ever do come across a situation if a designer has code that needs rescused I'll deffinitly get in contact with you. Your services are seriously needed as time moves forward.

Take care,
John