[game_preservation] Fwd: End of the arcade CRT monitor

Jim Leonard trixter at oldskool.org
Mon Jul 16 17:38:51 EDT 2012

On 7/16/2012 3:34 PM, István Fábián wrote:

> I really recommend taking a look at least the video showcasing the

> simulation, including even masks - it's not something that you'd see in

> any other emulator.

> There is a very long video showing everything right on the front page.

> http://micro64.de/

There is no doubt that the emulation is excellent. However, LCDs don't
have the same gamma, curvature, or surface glare that raster and vector
monitors have. Whether or not you think that's important is irrelevant;
it's what is true and authentic. Proper preservation of any game must
take these things into account to some degree.

I think that scanline/mask/etc. emulation is fantastic in general for
people who want to get close to what the original experience was like.
I myself turn it on whenever I run an emulator. But I would never
suggest it is "good enough" as a replacement for the original.
--
Jim Leonard (trixter at oldskool.org) http://www.oldskool.org/
Check out some trippy MindCandy at http://www.mindcandydvd.com/