[game_preservation] Moby Games

Scott Sheppard wiweeyum at gmail.com
Sat Jul 21 12:44:13 EDT 2012

I'd also like to comment that I think that MobyGames could work absolutely
fine as a crowd sourced database, however, the 90s web design and relative
obscurity of the site (at least perceived obscurity) continually turned me
away.

I feel strongly that such a site *has *to be built as a game to be truly
successful. Encourage "guilds" and completed profiles, as well as give more
points to those who add games to obscure consoles or platforms that we know
have more titles than what are currently listed. Include crowd voting on
everything to give readers a sense of how accurate the information would
be. A catchy story line that allows gamers to get into a role playing mind
frame, where they feel they are doing more than 'just' adding to a database
of games on the web. While there are obviously a large group of folks that
will contribute, the goal should be to make it as accessible and appealing
to as many outliers as possible.

So while MobyGames is a great start, I don't think it's the end of database
sites... so long as the next big one is designed with gamers in mind. I'm
excited to continue to work towards that day, and will be pushing for it
steadily until then.

Question about the GameFly purchase. What does that entail for the
information on it? What does GameFly plan to do with the platform? It was a
quiet purchase, and a smart move on their part I feel, but I can't seem to
find *any* information about it whatsoever.