[game_preservation] More games pulled from virtual console

Benj Edwards editor at vintagecomputing.com
Mon Nov 19 16:02:20 EST 2012

Devin,

My article actually centers around the legal impediments to the proper
preservation and cultural sharing (think libraries) of software. It
does not intentionally glorify piracy, at least not in my opinion. In
fact, it says that piracy unintentionally preserves some software -- in
spite of itself -- and that we'd be better off doing that kind of work
legally.

I quote: "It is up to us, as a generation, to preserve our cultural
history. We must also push for reforms in copyright law that allow
software to take its rightful place in historical archives without the
need to rely upon the work of pirates."

I'd rather that every piece of software get preserved properly and
legitimately (and I know that such efforts are underway in some
quarters), but in practice (and historically), that is not going to
happen. We'll all have to either fall back on the work of pirates or
our own illegal DRM-breaking, media-shifting, and public-sharing actions
to preserve software in the future if copyright laws don't change. The
reasons why are spelled out in the article.

Regards,
Benj

On 11/19/2012 3:42 PM, Devin Monnens wrote:

> Yeah, I've read the Technologizer article. The trouble with it is that

> piracy does not equal preservation. Piracy is concerned with access

> and playability. It attempts to get software out, though this

> obviously subverts copyright and developer profit (perceived or

> otherwise). The focus on playability means PC emulation tends to be of

> higher quality than console emulation (such as Virtual Console or

> classic collections). However, piracy is not interested in data

> authenticity because access and playability are its focus.

> Preservation is interested mostly in authenticity and longevity -

> making sure the data is accurate and that it is preserved in a format

> that will last well into the next century.

> There is some overlap I feel in the playability department (making

> sure the games are playable as well as accessible), but I think that

> articles like this have the tendency to raise and praise the pirate

> flag while ignoring legitimate preservation efforts.

> On Mon, Nov 19, 2012 at 3:15 PM, Andrew Armstrong

> <andrew at aarmstrong.org <mailto:andrew at aarmstrong.org>> wrote:

> Yeah, software piracy is about it, shame the same can't be easily

> done on other consoles.

> None that I know of Benj regarding lost to history games. There

> are a few noted rarities in various articles, but no compiled list

> AFAIK.

> Andrew

> On 19/11/2012 20:10, Benj Edwards wrote:

>> Seconded, Frank.

>> On a tangential topic -- has anyone ever made a list of video

>> games that have apparently been lost to history (or are

>> particularly endangered)? I've though about undertaking it a few

>> times, but it's hard to make a list of things that are, well,

>> lost, because few people know about them.

>> Benj

>> On 11/19/2012 3:04 PM, Frank Cifaldi wrote:

>>> Indeed. As far as I know, the raw files from every Virtual

>>> Console release have been ripped and torrented thousands of

>>> times over, so I'm not personally worried about games getting

>>> pulled. It's not ideal, but it's the best we can expect to have

>>> http://technologizer.com/2012/01/23/why-history-needs-software-piracy/

>>> :)

>>> Benj

>>> http://www.benjedwards.com