[game_preservation] More games pulled from virtual console

Devin Monnens dmonnens at gmail.com
Tue Nov 20 07:41:21 EST 2012

Well, what irks me is that they may own the copyright, but if they're
selling cracked games, they're doing players an injustice. I feel it's the
same with official emulation attempts. The emulation scene can do game
emulation far better than any developer - partly because they have nearly
20 years of experience, and partly because they have a different focus.
Bells and whistles like save states aside, the visual appearance, sound,
interface, and loading are also very important, and these are areas in
which developers fail. I remember one instance with the Mega Man
Anniversary Collection where the team that ported it axed Wiley's burning
castle from the Mega Man 7 ending, stating "We couldn't figure out how to
get that effect to work." It sounds like they redid them with the source
code, but I honestly don't see why they couldn't have just emulated it or
used a video. The way they dealt with it sounds lazy.