[game_preservation] Why is the TMSS Sega console referred to as "Genesis III" in the court case?

Andrew Perti andrew.perti at thesimm.org
Fri Sep 7 14:28:57 EDT 2012

Here's a great resource for Sega Genesis hardware revision info.

http://www.sega-16.com/forum/showthread.php?7796-GUIDE-Telling-apart-good-Genesis-1s-and-Genesis-2s-from-bad-ones

Cheers.

Andrew Perti
Founder | Seattle Interactive Media Museum
andrew.perti at thesimm.org | www.thesimm.org
Mobile: 518 653-5864

On 9/7/2012 9:48 AM, Martin Goldberg wrote:

> Third major hardware revision. There's actually multiple hardware

> revisions in each generation to track as well.

> On Fri, Sep 7, 2012 at 9:24 AM, Frank Cifaldi <fcifaldi at gmail.com> wrote:

>> I'm guessing because internally at Sega it's the third hardware revision of

>> the Genesis? As you yourself say, TMSS wasn't in the original release.

>> On Fri, Sep 7, 2012 at 6:33 AM, Devin Monnens <dmonnens at gmail.com> wrote:

>>> Still reading through Steve Kent's book, and pulled up another confusing

>>> term. In the Accolade v. Sega Enterprises court case, they refer to Sega's

>>> http://bulk.resource.org/courts.gov/c/F2/977/977.F2d.1510.92-15655.html

>>> The records also state that the "Genesis III" was released in October of

>>> 1991, and the Genesis 3 wasn't released until 1998. (October also seems to

>>> http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=m3YeqpD7HUY They're also showing it in the

>>> Christmas 1992 video - http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-JE7ajIl5YE and pretty

>>> much every commercial I saw up until 1995, when the Model 2 is shown -

>>> oddly, I haven't been able to locate a release date for the Model 2).

>>> We know that Onslaught by Accolade won't work on systems that have the

>>> TMSS code because they put the header in the wrong place. Original Genesis 1

>>> models will play them.

>>> From what I've gathered, the TMSS code was added in late Genesis 1 models.

>>> The original ones say "High Definition Graphics" on the system itself. Later

>>> models do not have this label and have the TMSS code, so they will not play

>>> Onslaught. (However, you can play it using a Game Genie).

>>> www.deserthat.com