[game_preservation] Where's the figure of 30 million Ataris sold come from?

Martin Goldberg wgungfu at gmail.com
Sat Sep 22 16:40:35 EDT 2012

The figure is more in the mid 20's. By May '84 there were around 17 million sold, and the 2600 continued to sell in the aftermath of the crash (remember the industry crash started in December '82 and reached a crescendo with Atari's split in July '84) when prices for it dropped. (Tramiel was counting on selling the large inherited back stock of consoles and computers to keep the company afloat while RBP was in development). Then Katz came in and dropped the price to the $50 point and re-released the cost reduced 2600 (nicknamed the Jr. by collectors but never actually called that) in the Fall of '85, which pushed it to be a strong seller in the late 80's as a low end console. Press releases and internally, Atari Corp. was promoting 26 million consoles sold by '88, and the 2600 was still the strongest selling console for the company - outselling the 7800 easily. It was still in production through '91, until it was cancelled in January '92.

-
Marty

Sent from my iPad