[game_preservation] Miyamoto on preservation!

Devin Monnens dmonnens at gmail.com
Thu Apr 11 12:45:45 EDT 2013

Not sure if Miyamoto is aware of what's being done in Japan and the US
outside of the MoMA. However, I don't see any real comments here on
Nintendo's interest in longevity.

*Q.* The Museum of Modern Art has a new
installation<http://www.nytimes.com/2013/03/04/arts/video-games/a-museums-games-are-not-on-pedestals.html>
with
14 video games. There aren’t any Nintendo games there, although the museum
would like to have some. What do you think about games in museums, as
opposed to living rooms?

*A.* I think the saddest thing about video games is that once the hardware
that the game runs on stops operating, the game is gone. And the only way
to preserve it then is through video. And so, on the one hand, I’m happy
that there’s a facility that’s starting to preserve games in their original
state.

At the same time it seems a little strange to me. I still look at video
games as entertainment. And it seems strange to me to take entertainment
and preserve it as a piece of art per se. But I guess MoMA as a museum,
they were one of the first to start preserving industrial design products.
With myself being an industrial designer, I’m very grateful to see that,
and grateful that they’re also preserving games.

http://www.nytimes.com/2013/03/12/arts/video-games/shigeru-miyamoto-of-nintendo-on-wii-u-sales-and-game-violence.html