[game_preservation] Research Fellowship deadlines

Dyson, Jon-Paul jpdyson at thestrong.org
Wed Apr 17 14:27:00 EDT 2013

As I think I’ve shared with the group before, The Strong offers research fellowships for people to do research in our collections, library, and archives here at the National Museum of Play. This includes all the materials from our International Center for the History of Electronic Games. We accept applications on a rolling basis but they are reviewed three times a year, and since the next deadline is May 30th, I thought I’d let the group know now.

You can find information here if you’re interested: http://www.libraryandarchivesofplay.org/fellowships

Certainly feel free to contact me if you have any questions.

Also, if any of you have an interest in the connections between video games and older forms of play you might be interested in knowing that we recently opened our newest permanent exhibit, Game Time!, on the history of non-electronic games and puzzles. It’s right next to our eGameRevolution exhibit. Here’s some basic information (http://www.museumofplay.org/see-do/exhibits/game-time), but among the more interesting artifacts on display is a manuscript of probably the earliest version of Dungeons and Dragons (http://www.thestrong.org/press/releases/2013/04/4538-rare-dungeons-dragons-manuscript) loaned to us by Jon Peterson, author of Playing at the World.

Best,
JP

Jon-Paul C. Dyson, PhD
Director, International Center for the History of Electronic Games
Vice President for Exhibit Research and Development
The Strong<http://www.thestrong.org/>
One Manhattan Square
Rochester, New York 14607 U.S.A.
Tel 585-410-6341