[game_preservation] Internet Archive Starts Archiving Commercial PC Games?

Henry Lowood lowood at stanford.edu
Mon Dec 16 17:21:57 EST 2013

All,

Two quick points to add that have not been mentioned:

1. If a rights-holder denies permission to re-distribute, that
restriction goes away when copyright expires IF the permission is solely
based on copyright. Note that libraries hold many materials that are
still under copyright. Copyright expires eventually, so there is a
long-term perspective to consider.
2. It is important to keep in mind that some use restrictions are based
on licenses, terms of use, etc.: contract law not copyright law. This
is a legal factor that does not get as much attention as DMCA, but it is
a real one. These restrictions may not be tied to copyright and may not
expire when copyright expires.

Both of these are points to consider. Again, I am not taking a position
here about IA's policies or procedures.

Henry

On 12/16/2013 2:10 PM, Alex Handy wrote:

> Jason has explained the take-down procedures at IA to me. I wouldn't

> worry too much about it. Let's just say that the worst possible thing

> that can happen at IA is if something has it's public links removed.

> Nothing is ever deleted....

> On Mon, Dec 16, 2013 at 2:06 PM, Devin Monnens <dmonnens at gmail.com

> <mailto:dmonnens at gmail.com>> wrote:

> No, I agree the stuff should be available for learning, research,

> and enjoyment.

> Jason's been taking this stance for awhile actually, starting at

> least in the public blog he posted a few months back.

> I think it's an interesting and useful step forward, but I hope

> it's not one that is going to turn sour for the IA (like with

> Google Books, although they had a large enough budget to absorb

> the damages). Maybe there will be some sort of ruling that makes

> sense for everybody.

> And as much as I'd like my students to have access to these, I

> don't think I can use the archive as required reading because

> we're a private institution, which means we have different

> restrictions than a public university would. However, I doubt

> that's a problem for most everyone else here.

> On Mon, Dec 16, 2013 at 4:59 PM, Frank Cifaldi <fcifaldi at gmail.com

> <mailto:fcifaldi at gmail.com>> wrote:

> Benefits to post now, ask later:

> -Artifacts are available to researchers and scholars worldwide

> -Artifacts are guaranteed to be safe forever: the more people

> that have it, the less likely it will disappear

> -A large audience can discuss things from more angles than an

> individual researcher

> -People like me can become inspired to become part of the

> discussion and preserve things, too

> -Groups form and do amazing things. See: aforementioned

> Underground Gamer's amazing effort to publish a complete

> archive of DOS games.

> -Instead of wasting time making phone calls, I can preserve

> more stuff

> -Rights holders and companies can easily acquire things they

> own but don't have local copies of and sell it (I've seen this

> more than once in my development an publishing career)

> -Artifacts whose rights have been lost to the sands of time

> can be accessed

> Benefits to getting permission:

> -Rights holders can, theoretically, sell a product that a

> software pirate would have a moderately difficult time finding

> online

> -...?

> Marty, I appreciate your perspective, but Jason's approach is

> the only one that makes sense. If a rights holder doesn't want

> things on Archive, they can email Jason and get it taken down

> while the remaining tens of thousands of pieces stay up. If

> Archive tried to get legal permission for everything they

> posted, they'd never post anything. We'd lose out on all of

> the benefits of having artifacts available, and gain

> absolutely nothing in return. The history of games would be

> [...]

Curator, History of Science & Technology Collections;
Film & Media Collections
HSSG, Green Library, 557 Escondido Mall
Stanford University Libraries, Stanford CA 94305-6004
650-723-4602; lowood at stanford.edu
http://www.stanford.edu/~lowood