[game_preservation] Game Preservation Awareness Day

Devin Monnens dmonnens at gmail.com
Tue Dec 17 17:16:05 EST 2013

This is to follow up on Marty's proposal for a Game Preservation Awareness
Day.

I think it would be a very good idea to use the IGDA bullhorn to do some
more awareness work like with the whitepaper a few years back. This might
be something similar, but in a more 'suit-readable' and 'dev-readable'
format.

This is basically something we can advertise through the IGDA and Gamasutra.

The pamphlet/announcement would include information for what companies can
do right now to help preserve their work.

-How is preservation important to your company?
-What is important to the history of games?
-What should you preserve?
-How should you preserve it/what steps can you take?
-How much is this going to cost you?
-What can you do if you're just one person?
-Here's people who can help

-What are game preservation groups doing, and why should you care?

This can also help allay fears that 'preservation = pirates' by describing
what preservation groups actually do and how they protect sensitive
materials.

So like what should a company do if they have a bunch of art assets and dev
materials that they no longer want to store? Right now, it's cheap (and
somewhat secure) for them to just throw it all in the dumpster. What's an
alternative that isn't going to cost them much money and hassle and still
achieve their objective of clearing space cheaply and securely?

Unless this sort of option is given, then companies are going to continue
to throw away their history.