[game_preservation] Fwd: [Media] Article

Devin Monnens dmonnens at gmail.com
Mon Feb 4 17:33:28 EST 2013

Here's my notes on common arguments made for the crash of the arcades:

-Too many arcades = too much competition

Giant arcades needed lots of clientele to stay in business

First ones to shut down when business slacked

-Too many street vendors – one or two machines in locations where they
shouldn’t have been

Chinese restaurants, groceries, etc.

Machines sold on credit; the buyers couldn’t pay back

(you can make some connections with the housing
crash – selling houses to people who couldn’t afford them and then not
being able to recoup costs)

When machines reclaimed, they couldn’t be resold, so put in
dumps

-Competition from home consoles (probably not true)

Usually cited as an answer (but how much sense does it make
logically?)

Argument goes that players would buy the home console version
and thus not go to the arcades; however, the arcade version would usually
come out first and was cheaper than buying a $50 cartridge

-Games got too hard (Eugene Jarvis’s explanation)

Games became too difficult because hardcore players would
easily master them

As a result, games were too challenging for casual players who
spent the most money

There were some quality games produced in 1983 and 1984:

Dragon’s Lair (although laserdisc were too expensive to maintain)

Star Wars

Gyruss

I, Robot

Mario Bros.

Spy Hunter

Paper Boy

1942

Punch-Out!

It’s funny to note that Tristan Donovan says Donkey Kong 3 didn’t sell very
well, when by all accounts I’ve read, it seems like it just wasn’t that
great a game to begin with – hence why it didn’t sell! (It also wasn't
designed by Miyamoto, which is probably why.)

Incidentally, if you look at the timeline on arcade-history, there were
over 300 arcade machines made in 1982, 1983, and 1984. (362 in 1982, which
was the height). Note some of these are duplicate machines.
http://www.arcade-history.com/index.php?page=timeline