[game_preservation] Ebay auction

Henry Lowood lowood at stanford.edu
Fri Feb 8 23:15:05 EST 2013

Hi Frank,

I know that my collection is nowhere near what you have, but I am
starting to give some of my magazine runs to Stanford. I hope you will
consider that as an option, too.

You are right, of course; for historical work, documentation is almost
always more important to have than a game library. Obviously, we do both
software preservation and archival work here, but I have to admit that
acquiring documentation fires me up more.

By the way, regarding the auction - the eBay collection was less than
half the size of Cabrinety in terms of software, and Cabrinety was a
gift. Cabrinety also came with platforms, magazines, books, and some
archival stuff, even some downloaded material and printouts from BBS
sites. We have to focus on seeing what we can do to preserve and
provide access to what we have. I'd love to see some interesting niche
or focused software collections come up, but we are probably not in the
market for another blockbuster.

Henry

On 2/8/2013 11:50 AM, Frank Cifaldi wrote:

> On that subject, I just put a group together to buy this really

> amazing collection of U.S. console magazines to donate to the Library

> of Congress' video game archive:

> http://www.ebay.com/itm/360579773880?ssPageName=STRK:MEWNX:IT&_trksid=p3984.m1439.l2649

> As someone who collects print material, I can tell you how

> near-impossible it would be to replicate this set (after more than 10

> years, even I don't have some of these issues).

> All of these are also at the Strong, this set will live at the LoC

> campus in Culpeper, VA and my private collection will live somewhere

> on the west coast when I find the right fit. I know people tend to get

> more excited over the actual games, but as someone who actually

> studies game history actively, these magazines are FAR more priceless,

> so I'm super stoked that these are safe and in the right hands.

> On Fri, Feb 8, 2013 at 11:40 AM, Alex Handy <alex at themade.org

> <mailto:alex at themade.org>> wrote:

> http://www.ebay.com/itm/OVER-30-years-of-VIDEOGAMES-COLLECTION-The-story-of-VideoGames-/121062811693

> So, who's gonna contact this guy when the auction fails?

> Henry? I don't think the MADE has room for all of this anyway.

> --

> Alex Handy

> Founder/Director

> The Museum of Art and Digital Entertainment

> 610 16th St.

> Suite 230

> Oakland, CA 94612

> Dial #0230 to be buzzed in

> http://www.themade.org

> http://blog.themade.org

> 510-788-5702 <tel:510-788-5702>

> 410-2-31337-2 <tel:410-2-31337-2> (mobile)

Curator, History of Science & Technology Collections;
Film & Media Collections
HSSG, Green Library, 557 Escondido Mall
Stanford University Libraries, Stanford CA 94305-6004
650-723-4602; lowood at stanford.edu
http://www.stanford.edu/~lowood