[game_preservation] Ebay auction

Frank Cifaldi fcifaldi at gmail.com
Sat Feb 9 22:11:24 EST 2013

The coin-op trade mags are really great resources, especially for finding
names of people who worked at U.S. distributors at the time. Play Meter and
RePlay are the two to really pay attention to, I think.

The only collection I know of for these -- which is incomplete, but very
impressive -- is at the International Arcade Museum in Pasadena:

http://www.arcade-museum.com/library/magazines/

On Sat, Feb 9, 2013 at 6:42 PM, Devin Monnens <dmonnens at gmail.com> wrote:

> The prices on some of those can get pretty crazy. I'm looking for a few

> issues of a Japanese monthly manga, and you can't seem to find it anywhere.

> They had one in a complete set of the year, but I don't think the set sold,

> and it would have run over $100. I'm thinking I should have just got it,

> but...

> How are collections with regards to the coin-op industry zines of the 70s

> and 80s? I'd assume there could be some valuable information in there with

> regards to releases, possibly sales figures as well.

> On Sat, Feb 9, 2013 at 9:21 PM, Frank Cifaldi <fcifaldi at gmail.com> wrote:

>> As far as complete runs of the post-crash US console mags, it's basically

>> just ICHEG in Rochester and what we got from this auction for the LOC.

>> In private collections, I have personally completed every consumer-facing

>> US magazine through about 1994 minus a small handful of issues, and have

>> most of 1995 to 1999 (my personal cutoff).

>> Matt Henzel at videogameobsession.com has some complete sets

>> himself...he used to subscribe to mags twice in order to keep mint

>> condition unread copies around, so his collection is probably the most

>> impressive condition-wise in the world.

>> You didn't ask me this but if you want to know what the hardest stuff to

>> find is, I'd say the computer game-specific magazines in the 90s. Computer

>> Gaming World isn't too hard, but PC Games is rough, Computer Game Review is

>> even worse, and Game Players PC Guide seems next to impossible.

>> Individual issues that are toughest off the top of my head from

>> post-crash would probably be GamePro #2, EGM #5 and Electronic Game Player

>> 1-3. Game Players also seems like it had a really low circulation around

>> 1993.

>> Pre-crash, the Electronic Games 1983 Buyers Guide seems particularly hard

>> to find. It's the last one that isn't scanned online somewhere. I just

>> pounced on one on eBay, it went for over $100!

>> Sent from my iPhone

>> On Feb 9, 2013, at 4:44 PM, Alex Handy <alex at themade.org> wrote:

>> Well both, kinda. What institutions have what complete runs now? What

>> institutions have runs with a few missing issues? I figure exact lists of

>> missing issues aren't likely, but if we can figure something out, as I

>> said, we have a number of yearly runs of certain mags, and lots of older

>> stuff like Antic and Start.

>> We also have a lot of GamePro, of course.

>> On Feb 9, 2013 4:24 PM, "Frank Cifaldi" <fcifaldi at gmail.com> wrote:

>>> Oh sorry Alex, I missed your question.

>>> Actually I'm not sure what you're asking...are you asking for which

>>> people own complete runs of magazines, or are you asking what I'm missing

>>> from my collection or...?