[game_preservation] GamePro TV Show

Jim Leonard trixter at oldskool.org
Mon Feb 11 17:56:02 EST 2013

I want to second the suggestion of making sure archive.org gets them.
That footage is 30i (interlaced) and if you give archive.org the MPEG-2
(or DV) files that will result as part of the acquisition, nothing will
get lost. The original MPEG-2 files will be available for full quality
viewing, and archive.org automatically transcodes MPEG-2 to MPEG-4 for
those who want to stream/watch online or grab a portable copy.

This is the main reason the Computer Chronicles videos on archive.org
can still be used for broadcast applications; all 60 fields per second
are preserved in the MPEG-2 files.

On 2/11/2013 2:50 PM, Devin Monnens wrote:

> Depends on if you own the copyright. If you can distribute them online,

> I'd suggest both Archive.org and YouTube. Archive.org will take care of

> them, while YouTube will get them to a wider audience. Then contact

> somebody like IGN or 1Up and see if they'll do an article on it.

> On Mon, Feb 11, 2013 at 3:40 PM, Alex Handy <alex at themade.org

> <mailto:alex at themade.org>> wrote:

> An update on this. We still have the tapes and I just today found

> someone who really, yes, honestly, seriously can capture them. They're

> BetaCam, so everyone who's offered to record them up to now has

> discovered a software or hardware problem in the chain and backed down

> before ever even being able to insert the tapes.

> I'm hoping to drop these off later this week, and it should cost about

> $200. I'm planning on uploading them to Archive.org. Any thoughts on

> whether that's the right place for them?

> --

> Alex Handy

> Founder/Director

> The Museum of Art and Digital Entertainment

> 610 16th St.

> Suite 230

> Oakland, CA 94612

> Dial #0230 to be buzzed in

> http://www.themade.org

> http://blog.themade.org

> 510-788-5702 <tel:510-788-5702>

> 410-2-31337-2 <tel:410-2-31337-2> (mobile)

> www.deserthat.com <http://www.deserthat.com>

Jim Leonard (trixter at oldskool.org)
Check out some trippy MindCandy: http://www.mindcandydvd.com/
A child borne of the home computer wars: http://trixter.oldskool.org/
You're all insane and trying to steal my magic bag!