[game_preservation] Kill Screen Daily report on NYU Panel

Devin Monnens dmonnens at gmail.com
Fri Nov 15 18:41:10 EST 2013

Kill Screen Daily has a report on the recent panel on game history in the
year 2100 conducted at NYU earlier this month. The main position of the
panel was that documentation of current games and game culture will be very
important - probably more important than the preservation of the games
themselves.

I already see a bit of this in the class on game history I help teach at
Full Sail University. One of our assignments is to have students watch a
video of a child today playing *Contra* and other NES games. The question
we ask is, "Does the child dislike the game because it is too hard or
because it has a design flaw?" Some students catch on that *Contra* was
from the arcades and that arcade design influenced how it was made and
fostered the culture of people who played it. Most aren't able to make the
connection and look at it more as an artifact removed from the culture and
history of its origins.

http://killscreendaily.com/articles/articles/how-will-historians-study-videogames/