[game_preservation] History of electromechanical arcade games?

Devin Monnens dmonnens at gmail.com
Sun Oct 27 19:19:39 EDT 2013

Are there any books, articles, websites, etc. focusing on the history of
electromechanical arcade games? I'm not talking databases like
arcade-history, which just document basic information and aren't detailed
looks at the games.

I know of plenty of pinball books, and some books on classic arcade
machines, but nothing specifically on electromechanical stuff. Several game
history books talk about *Periscope* in relation to Sega, and the History
of Nintendo vol. 1 shows Nintendo's early electromechanical stuff, but I've
never seen a book on electromechanical coin-ops in general.

Any good sources on this kind of stuff?