[game_preservation] An Awful Lot of Preservation

Jason Scott jason at textfiles.com
Sat Nov 1 19:08:26 EDT 2014

As glanced upon by my rant at the SIG meeting at GDC this year, the
Internet Archive has now released, in various bits, a lot of what I was
talking about at the time:

THE SOFTWARE LIBRARY is meant to be an ultimately-comprehensive collection
of software for various platforms - right now it has huge chunks of Atari
8-Bit, Apple II Family, and ZX Spectrum up, as well as playable. Apple II
goes farther and has over a thousand floppies from user groups, as does the
Atari 8-Bit (Pool Disks). Combined with the JSMESS emulator, many are
playable. Combined with the Screen Shotgun (an automatic player of items in
the emulator), many have screenshots.
http://archive.org/details/softwarelibrary

THE INTERNET ARCADE is a collection of arcade games. It's the logical other
half of JSMESS, which is JSMAME - a porting of MAME to Javascript. Frankly,
it was many times easier than JSMESS, which is why I wasn't interested in
making that the first big thing going on. But now we've been up for a year,
so it's time. 900 arcade games. http://archive.org/details/internetarcade

THE CONSOLE LIVING ROOM was announced last year, but I've expanded it out
to 21 different game consoles, from early 1970s pieces through to a few
Sega masterpieces of the 1990s and even a 2000-era (obscure) one. It's
2,300 games, also with screenshots.
http://archive.org/details/consolelivingroom

Finally, PLAYDRONE is an outside project I am proud to have helped get onto
the archive. A group of researchers are downloading EVERY Android app on
the Play store, and EVERY intermediate version before and after. For a
total of 500,000 apps so far. All the metadata. So for the concerns about
"What about phones".... well here we are.
https://archive.org/details/android_apps

Anyway, been busy. Enjoy.