[game_preservation] FRED - Game console from Australia (ca. 1983)

Martin Goldberg wgungfu at gmail.com
Sun Oct 5 23:44:14 EDT 2014

It's not a game console, it's a computer (as also evidenced by the printer
port). Microbyte Systems was a manufacturer of computers and computer
equipment throughout the 80s. The owner posted wondering if it was a game
console or computer, and for some reason everyone's jumping on the console
bandwagon as they pass it along.

Here's an example of one of their later computers:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=izqc-95KzeY

On Sun, Oct 5, 2014 at 9:37 PM, Devin Monnens <dmonnens at gmail.com> wrote:

> Here's an oddity that's finding its way across the web. It's FRED, a game
> console made in Australia in 1983. Serial number on this is in the
> 320,000s, and I wouldn't be surprised if they manufactured over half a
> million.
>
> http://imgur.com/a/aP2mF
>
> https://www.reddit.com/r/retrogaming/comments/2idbft/thought_you_guys_might_like_this_too_fred_an/
>

> Unfortunately, doesn't seem to be much information on it.
>
> Melanie or anyone else here know a bit more about it?
>
> -Devin
> www.deserthat.com

Marty