[JakeShows] Opening for Ronny Cox Saturday, plus upcoming Running Commentary shows

Jacob Haller music at jwgh.org
Thu Sep 23 18:17:56 EDT 2010

Hi all,

Had a fun time playing with the new band a couple of weeks ago. I've put up a recording of us playing my song 'All Alone') on my demo page at <http://music.jwgh.org/demo/> if you're interested in checking it out -- I'm looking forward to us having many more shows to come. You can also see a picture of us in action on the front page of my website at <http://music.jwgh.org/index.html>.

Here's what I've got coming up in the next few weeks:

Saturday September 25 - SOLO SHOW; OPENING FOR RONNY COX
---------------------
WHEN: 8 pm
WHERE: Stone Soup at St. Paul's Church, 50 Park Place, Pawtucket, RI
FACEBOOK: http://www.facebook.com/event.php?eid=118565191531697
COVER: $20

Ronny Cox <http://www.ronnycox.com/> is an actor (he was in RoboCop and Total Recall) and singer/songwriter. I haven't seen him before but I'm told that he's a good songwriter and performer and a genuinely nice guy. I found this quotation about him:

"In Hollywood, they say it takes smart actors to play stupid characters, and nice guys to play nasty villains. Cox is the poster-boy for the latter point. He played slithery corporate snakes in "RoboCop" and "Total Recall;" but as a singer-songwriter, he is a study in easygoing amiability and unforced charisma. He charms crowds with self-teasing humor, tart progressive insight, and a lulling Southwestern folk sound. His repertoire is a smart mix of witty ditties, bluesy swing tunes, heart-on-sleeve romances, and real-life anthems ('It's a cry in the night/ It's a whispered prayer/ That gets you from here to there')." - Scott Alarik, The Boston Globe

If you want to get tickets in advance -- and it sounds like it's not impossible that it will sell out -- you can get them through Stone Soup's website at <http://www.stonesoupcoffeehouse.com/>.

Sunday October 3 - SOLO PERFORMANCE at THE EMPIRE REVUE
----------------
WHEN: 8 pm
WHERE: AS220, 115 Empire Street, Providence, RI
COVER: $8

Singing a song as part of AS220's nifty and entertaining monthly cabaret show.

Thursday October 7 - JACOB HALLER & THE RUNNING COMMENTARY
------------------
WHEN: 10 pm-1 am
WHERE: The Spot Underground, 15 Elbow Street (just off Chestnut), Providence, RI 02903
FACEBOOK: http://www.facebook.com/event.php?eid=131306520250032
COVER: $5

Not only will I be playing some new songs with my talented band (Natalie Markward on guitar and Joe Auger on drums), but we'll be opening for two great acts who I admire and enjoy:

- The Running Commentary is a talented duo from Massachusetts, with my old highschool classmate Nicole Sutka on acoustic bass and Eric Donaldson on guitar. They both sing and their harmonies are amazing. Check 'em out at <http://smilemakersmusic.com/>.

- The headliner is Daniel Ouellette & the Shobijin <http://www.danielouellette.net/>. Daniel and Cheryl put on a kind of amazing show that is hard to describe, but it is witty, multi-lingual, and amazingly entertaining. You will probably get a free fake mustache if you come to this show!

This'll be a great show. I hope you can make it!

Friday October 8 - JACOB HALLER & NATALIE MARKWARD
WHEN: 6-8 pm
WHERE: The College Hill Cafe inside the Brown Bookstore, 244 Thayer Street, Providence, RI 02912
FACEBOOK: http://www.facebook.com/event.php?eid=144168852292046

After Thursday's big show, Natalie and I are going to kick back and play an acoustic show as part of WS Monroe's acoustic music series at the College Hill Cafe. WS Monroe will also play a short set and Manny Perry will also be performing. Come on down, have a coffee or a pastry, kick back, and enjoy!

So that's about it for the next few weeks. I do have other shows scheduled later in October, including a Killdevils show and a show at the Raven in Worcester; as always you can see what I've got planned at <http://music.jwgh.org/gigs.html>.

Have a great weekend!

So long,
http://www.facebook.com/jwgh.music
http://www.myspace.com/jwgh