[JakeShows] Vote for me in SpinTunes; plus, February shows

Jacob Haller music at jwgh.org
Tue Jan 31 10:03:21 EST 2012

Good day,

We got a good snow a couple of weekends ago, and then it was sixty degrees a couple of days later. New England weather seems to be even crazier than normal. I do appreciate not having to shovel, though.

In other news, I've entered a songwriting contest! There are four rounds to the competition, and the first one has just finished. The first challenge was to write a song based on a childhood nightmare that uses rubato (a technique where a song speeds up and slows down in a free and expressive way). If you're interested, you can download my song using this link: http://music.jwgh.org/SpinTunes/TheMaze-mp3.php

You can also download everyone's entries for the first round from http://spintown.bandcamp.com/album/spintunes-4-round-1 and, if desired, you can go to http://spintunes.blogspot.com/ and vote for your five favorite tracks (which I hope will include mine!)

In addition to (hopefully) writing some more songs for SpinTunes, February is looking like a busy little month, with shows in Providence, Worcester, and Brooklyn. Here's what I've got coming up:

Thursday February 9 - SOLO SHOW
-------------------
WHERE: Indigo Pizza & Lounge, 599 Tiogue Avenue, Coventry, RI 02816
WHEN: 7-9 pm

Mary Day, Dan Durand, Tom Lane, and I will be sharing the bill in this show, which is part of the 'Songwriters By The Slice' series. We'll be playing for tips. The Indigo Lounge has some tasty pizza, including a bunch of inventive dessert pizzas.

Friday February 10 - SOLO SHOW - SONGWRITERS IN THE ROUND ANNIVERSARY SHOW
------------------
WHERE: AS220, 115 Empire Street, Providence, RI
WHEN: 8:30 pm-late
COVER: $10

Fifteen songwriters play a few songs each, with the nifty band Whalebone Jackson finishing off the night. The songwriters are: Ryan Fitzsimmons, Charlie Cover, Billy Mitchell, Johnny Botelho, Tracie Potochnik, Jan Luby, Pete Vendettuoli, Paul Pasch, Joanne Lurgio, Marilynn Manfra, Patti DeRosa, Jim Tata, Jon McAullife, Andrew Lewis, and me.

Monday February 13 - SOLO SHOW - INTERNET BROADCAST
------------------
WHEN: 9-11 pm Eastern time
WHERE: The Internet, 1060 W. Addison Street

Another live broadcast from my apartment! This time it will be just me performing, so tune in and feel free to make requests. You can watch using this link: <http://www.livestream.com/jwgh> Since it's the day before Valentine's Day I may concentrate on songs of love and relationships, unless I decide it would be too disturbing.

You won't need to create an account or anything to watch. If you want to post comments during the broadcast then you will need either a Livestream account or a facebook account.

If you know anyone who might be interested, please help spread the word!

Saturday February 18 - SOLO SHOW in BROOKLYN
--------------------
WHERE: Freddy's Bar, 627 5th Avenue, Brooklyn, NY
WHEN: 10-11 pm

I will be preceded by American String Conspiracy at 9 pm and a brass band named 'Horny' will be on after me at 11 pm. More information about the show is athttp://freddysbar.com/events/2012-02-18/. There is no cover or drink minimum, but I will playing for tips.

Saturday February 25 - SOLO SHOW in WORCESTER
WHERE: The Raven, 258 Pleasant Street, Worcester, MA
WHEN: 9 pm
COVER: $5

I'll be sharing the bill with other acts TBA.

That about wraps it up for February. As always, you can see my full schedule at http://music.jwgh.org/gigs.html .

Thanks,
http://jacobhaller.bandcamp.com/